Fitness Friday - Meal Prep for Beginners



Whoop Whoop!! This is my 50th published post!! So what exactly is meal prepping?  For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, essentially it is planning and prepping your meals in advance for the week.  This means cooking items in bulk and eating leftovers!  I used to hate left overs when I was younger, now I delight in their existence. Left overs are a wondrous time saver! The stress and time factor of having to cook every single meal can make adopting a healthy lifestyle ardous.  Meal prepping saves you time in the kitchen and helps keep you on track with healthy eating!


You can prep and plan for just dinners, lunch and dinner, or even all three meals of the day and snacks too! The amount of prep you do, depends on how much time you have to dedicate to prepping and your personal preferences. Personally, at the beginning of every week, I write up a meal timetable for the week, and I shop for what I need at once. After shopping, I prep my breakfasts for the week, cut up any fresh veggies or fruits that need slicing, as well as all my dinners for the week. I then either refrigerate or freeze and simply warm it up when I need to during the week.


Before you begin any meal prep, I advise you to have a lot of tupperware containers on hand, you are going to need them!  I also suggest buying tupperware of similar sizes/shapes so you can easily stack them in your fridge, making your meal prep more space efficient. Pick one day a week as your "plan and prep" day, you can also grocery shop on this day as well! I personally use Saturday, but this week I prepped on Thursday which was yesterday.

You should plan your meals for the week out using the following guideline - Protein + Starch + Vegetable (This week I didn't include Starch). Protein options that I recommend and are my favourites are Chicken Breasts (Boneless and Skinless), Extra Lean Ground Beef, Fish (Salmon,Tilapia, Shrimp), Eggs (hard boil or microwaved), Steak (Rump), Pork, or Sausage(beef, chicken).  Starch options that I recommend are Quinoa (add whatever flavors/spices of dish to boost flavor), Sweet potato, Brown rice, Whole-Wheat Pasta, Potato, Rice (Basmati, Wild Grain). Vegetable options  that I recommend are Green Beans, Spinach, Mushrooms, Broccoli, Cucumber, Bell Peppers, Carrots and Tomatoes.     

Remember to do what works best for you though. If cooking everything at once on Sunday is too much because that's your day of rest, pick two days to meal prep then, this is what I do sometimes! Let me share with you guys my meal prep for this week. I decided to start my fitness challenge again this week, but instead of two weeks, I'll be doing it for one week. I'm not doing the challenge to loose weight, but because I'm going on vacation in a week's time I'll like to detoxify my body in preparation for all the junk foods I know I'm going to consume while there. (You can check out the post on the challenge here)


So, I went shopping and bought what I needed yesterday(see the shopping list here). Since I'm quite free this week, I'll prep for my meal every morning, so that when I'm hungry throughout the day, I wouldn't have to bother about cooking and thus I'll not be tempted to deviate from my plan. On Snapchat (you should follow me @hadedeevah as I share my meal plan live) this morning, I already shared part of my meal prep for Day 1 (read here)





Till my next post laters xx

Comments

Popular Posts