Study Abroad #1 - Applying To Universities.







Hello guys, I decided to start up a new series detailing my journey to studying abroad. I will be starting my master’s degree in September 2017 and I thought it nice to blog my experience studying and living in the abroad. I normally go abroad for vacations and spend between a week to a month while there, but this will be the first time I leave my home country to go live somewhere else. I am going to enjoy sharing my experiences living abroad with you.


In today’s blog, I will share the names of the schools I applied to, the course and the requirements expected of me. I applied to 7 differents schools from different regions in the United Kingdom. I know this seems a lot and yes I had a field day convincing supervisors to write me reference letters, but I needed to have different options as regards where i want to study and the course i want to study.

At first I was working with an organisation called UKEAS. They work with students hoping to study abroad, but I when I started getting offers from the schools I applied to I decided to just continue the Applications myself and communicate directly with the schools instead.

Overtime, I eliminated some of these schools and was left with just 4 schools who were ready to offer me a place to study Masters in Medical Law. Out of this four schools, I decided to go with a University in London after considering the logistics of living and schooling in London. I know schooling in London will be quite expensive as London is a capital, but I have always known that I would rather school in an urban part of the UK rather than in the countryside.

Queen Mary is one of the best schools in the UK to study Law in and is situated at Mile end which is just a train stop from the Westfield Mall in Stratford (the best mall in UK in my own opinion). I will be expected to take my classes at the Institute of legal studies which is right in Central London and is a twenty minute walk to Oxford street, Bond Street and so on (which has all the best shops). The school being in Central London is very close to London’s finest tourist centres. Can you guys see why I’m loving this school.

Of course as I stated earlier, living in London will be quite expensive. First of all, i would have to take the underground a lot because my hostel is to be in Mile End, but my classes will be holding at the Institute of Legal studies which is about 35 minutes away. This means i have to regularly top up my Oyster card and this is not cheap! On the other hand, there are a lot of discounts for persons younger than 26, student discounts and so on.

At Queen Mary, in order to begin the process to obtain my School visa, I was told to write an IELTS (International English Language Testing System) exam compulsorily. I will share about my experience writing the exams and my results in the next post in these series.

Thank you all for reading and hope you enjoy this little snippet in my journey to studying abroad.

Comments

  1. Let me be the first to say Congratulations on here. This is definitely going to be an interesting journey for you. Can't wait to see what you've got in store for us. I'm sure u'll be fine moving completely to another country. You're stronger than you know! Luff ya!!!������
    P.S. I really don't know why I'm just seeing this. #Procrastination.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comment!

Popular Posts